Dryness and lack of proper hygiene are two main reasons for dark knees and elbows. This leads to dead cells building up on the skin. Pressing the elbows and knees against hard or dirty surfaces too can result in dark knees and elbows.
Exfoliating and moisturizing are two effective treatments for dark knees and elbows.
Exfoliating dark knees and elbows should be done 2 -3 times a week.
- Mix 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Apply this on a loofah and scrub the knees and elbows for 2-3 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
- Another scrub ideal for dark knees and elbows is to mix together ½ cup of brown sugar, 1 tbsp. of honey and 1 tsp. of olive oil. Apply this on a loofah and scrub the knees and elbows for 2-3 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
- White sugar mixed with lemon/lime juice is another effective scrub. Mix ¼ cup white sugar with 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice. Apply on wet knee or elbow with a loofah. Massage in circular motions for 2-3 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Then massage the skin with olive oil and leave on for 15 minutes. Wipe away the oil using a dry washcloth or paper towel.
Applying lemon/lime juice
- Take the juice of 1 lemon or lime and apply on the knees and elbows. Leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water using a washcloth. You can also place slices of lemon/lime on the knee and leave on skin for 10-15 minutes. You can also place your elbows directly on slices of lemon/lime for 10-15 minutes.
- Another home remedy to lighten the knees and elbows is to mix 1 tablespoon coconut oil and ½ teaspoon lime juice and apply on the knees and elbows. Leave on for 10 - 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water using a washcloth.
- Apply honey or petroleum jelly on clean knees and elbows before going to bed at night. Leave on for 15 -20 minutes and then wipe using a wet wash cloth.
- When applying store bought moisturizers before going to bed, cover the knee and elbows with a sock (make sure the toe part of the sock is cut) since the skin will be able to soak up the moisturizer much more effectively.
- When using commercial moisturizers for the treatment of dark knees and elbows make sure it contains cocoa butter, shea butter or Aloe.