Yeast infections (also referred to as ‘candidiasis’) is caused by the yeast fungus ‘candida albicans.’
Only certain areas of the body are prone to yeast infections. Such places would be where the skin is always warm and moist such as the mouth, between skin folds and private parts.
The most common type of yeast infection a female gets is vulvovaginal candidiasis. This is a type of yeast infection which infects a woman’s or girl’s vulva causing it to swell up, redden and become itchy.
A person suffering from vulvovaginal candidiasis will also feel a burning sensation when passing urine or during sex.
Females are at risk of getting vulvovaginal candidiasis if they:
- Wear tight underwear especially ones made of nylon.
- Wear wet clothes for long periods of time such as a bathing suit.
- Wear sanitary napkins which are perfumed.
- Apply strong scented soaps and body washes to their private parts when bathing or showering.
- Do not wash underwear properly.
- Do not bathe or shower regularly.
- Do not dry themselves properly after a shower or bathe.
- Using birth control pills, antibiotics or steroids.
- Wiping back to front after using the toilet.
Listed below are a few home remedies for treating vulvovaginal candidiasis.
Honey is rich in antiseptic properties and is an ideal treatment for vulvovaginal candidiasis.
Go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet. Take some honey and apply generously on the affected area. Leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Do this treatment in the morning and at night before going to bed.
Some women peel a garlic clove and insert it into the vagina. If you feel uncomfortable doing this you can take a garlic clove and mince it. Then apply around the vulva. Leave on for an hour and rinse off with warm water. Do this treatment twice a day (morning and evening).
Apple Cider Vinegar
Pour 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar into a warm bath. Soak in it for 15 minutes. Do this treatment daily.
© Suranee Perera 2012